Believe it or not, it isn’t as simple as numbering the tables on your wedding table plan! There are some things that you need to keep in mind when creating the layout of the room that will help with seating and serving wedding guests. Remember, we want to be great hosts and it is amazing to watch wedding guests as they attempt to find their seat.
TIPS + TRICKS:
- the head table and the ‘parent’ tables are typically served first at a wedding so make sure these are clearly identified and close to each other so they have the best view of you and the caterer/venue can dedicate those tables to a head server.
- make sure all table numbers are LARGE enough to be seen across the room and in a font that is legible.
- if you want to be creative and NAME your tables, incorporate a number with them as well! guests know how to order numbers and letters when walking into a room i.e. if they enter near table 1 and need to move to table 16, they know which direction to move in. same goes with A – Z.
- figure out where your guests will be entering the dining space and make sure all table numbers/names are facing this entrance so guests can see them.
- double check the floorplan with your venue/caterer to make sure it fits with their serving style. It is important to design a table layout that works for everyone otherwise service can slow down because servers are confused with your numbering/naming.
- lastly – have fun with it! there are SOOOOOO many things you can do for your table numbers. Check out our PINTEREST board on Table Numbers and Names. We had a pilot this year choose to use the phonetic alphabet (alfa, beta, charlie etc) for their table numbers, other couples have used destinations they have traveled together, names of Muskoka lakes, names of points on Lake Simcoe, or numbers significant to their relationship i.e. 5, the number of months L&R were engaged.
We advise clients on topics like this with our wedding clients all the time. We can help suggest creative ways for you customize your table numbers, assist in the table layouts and set-up in an optimal way for wedding guests and servers. We have uploaded some examples of client table names and numbers to our facebook page which you can access by clicking here.